Pita Bread Pizza – Not too long ago Hummus was considered an exotic ethnic food, but today it is as common as ranch dressing.
Pita Bread Pizza
Little ones will love these fun and super-easy pizza’s recipes for lunch or a light.
Mediterranean Pita Pizzas
Of course it makes a great dip for veggies and pita chips, but we like to use it to amp up the flavor of recipes as well.
Use it in place of pizza sauce for these Mediterranean-inspired pita pizzas, which are brimming with flavor from the ground lamb, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and roasted red peppers.
And all this flavor comes together in just minutes for an easy weeknight meal.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1.5 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- 8 whole wheat pitas
- 16 ounces hummus
- 4 tablespoons sliced kalamata olives
- 8 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 8 tablespoons roasted red pepper strips
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions, green parts only
- 8 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat
- Add the lamb and seasoning and cook until the lamb is cooked all the way through
- Drain any excess grease from the meat
- Heat pitas in the microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Place pitas on individual plates
- Top each pita with 2 heaping tablespoons of the hummus and spread evenly over the pitas
- Then top each pita with 2-3 tablespoons cooked ground lamb, 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 tablespoon kalamata olives, 1 tablespoon roasted red pepper strips, 1 tablespoon chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 tablespoon chopped green onions
- Using a pizza cutter, slice each pita pizza into 4 wedge-shaped pieces and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 pita pizza. Yield: 8 servings.