This simple, yet tasty meal is a great meatless way to satisfy cravings for Mexican fare. I call them “Black Jack Tacos“. Give it a try!
Even though we are half-way through September, here in Nashville we are still battling the rentless, high-humidity 90 degree heat. So we have to try and keep cool however we can, and that includes keeping the oven off as much as possible.
While I do love cool salads in the summertime, I am starting to crave something a little different. So now is the perfect time for my Oven-less Black Jack Tacos (the only cooking required is a quick 1-minute spin the the microwave to melt the cheese).
This simple, yet tasty meal is a great meatless way to satisfy cravings for Mexican fare. I call them “Black Jack Tacos” because their filling is the delicious combination of hearty black beans and slightly-spicy pepperjack cheese.
Then I top them off with a little salsa and my easy, 3-ingredient Cumin Crema, and dinner is ready in 10 minutes. No sweat.
Table of Contents
Oven-less Black Jack Tacos
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas (such as La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Whole Wheat Tortillas)
- 2 cups (about 1 (15.5-ounce) can) black beans, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 8 tablespoons of your favorite salsa (a spicy tomato or a cool pineapple salsa both work well)
- 8 tablespoons Cumin Crema (see recipe below)
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage, to taste (for topping)
- Cilantro leaves, optional garnish
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup beans and 2 tablespoons cheese
- Heat, if desired, in the microwave for 1 minute on high or until the tortilla and beans are warm and the cheese is melted (do this in batches of two tacos at a time, if necessary)
- Remove and top each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon Cumin Creama
- Finish by topping each taco with shredded lettuce or cabbage, to taste, and cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Enjoy! Makes 4 servings (2 tacos per serving)
Note: Rinsing and draining canned beans reduces the sodium by approximately 40%.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 300 calories, 6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 356mg sodium, 48g carbs, 9g fiber, 15g protein, 30% Daily Value (DV) calcium, 40% DV vitamin C, 8% DV vitamin A, 20% DV iron.
Black Jack Tacos’s Cumin Creama
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and mixed thoroughly
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired
Note: Leftover Cumin Creama can be stored in an air-tight container in the refridgerator for 3-4 days and makes a great dip for raw veggies.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (2 tablespoons): 10 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 25mg sodium, 1g carbs, 0g fiber, 1g protein.
... Barbecue sauce, optional Directions Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F Place Bush's Grillin' Beans in a food processor ...
... cheese yogurt-based dressing Directions Preheat oven to 400 degrees F In a large bowl, mix together the Bush's ...
... 2 teaspoons butter, melted Directions Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray ...
... only 10 mins to make. It couldn't be much easier to get tasty weeknight dishes on the table! You only require 5 components, ...
... for breakfast? These quinoa breakfast recipes is super tasty and healthy: bowl, vegan, eggs, porridge, and bake. By now, ...