This simple, yet tasty meal is a great meatless way to satisfy cravings for Mexican fare. Call them “Black Jack Tacos“.
Table of Contents
Black Jack Tacos
Why? Because their filling is the delicious combination of hearty black beans and slightly-spicy pepperjack cheese. Then I top them off with a little salsa and my easy, 3-ingredient Cumin Crema, and dinner is ready in 10 minutes. No sweat.
Oven-less Black Jack Tacos
- 8 whole-wheat tortillas (such as La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Whole Wheat Tortillas)
- 2 cups (about 1 (15.5-ounce) can) black beans, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 8 tablespoons of your favorite salsa (a spicy tomato or a cool pineapple salsa both work well)
- 8 tablespoons Cumin Crema (see recipe below)
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage, to taste (for topping)
- Cilantro leaves, optional garnish
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup beans and 2 tablespoons cheese
- Heat, if desired, in the microwave for 1 minute on high or until the tortilla and beans are warm and the cheese is melted (do this in batches of two tacos at a time, if necessary)
- Remove and top each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon Cumin Creama
- Finish by topping each taco with shredded lettuce or cabbage, to taste, and cilantro leaves, if desired
- Enjoy! Makes 4 servings (2 tacos per serving)
Note: Rinsing and draining canned beans reduces the sodium by approximately 40%.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 300 calories, 6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 356mg sodium, 48g carbs, 9g fiber, 15g protein, 30% Daily Value (DV) calcium, 40% DV vitamin C, 8% DV vitamin A, 20% DV iron.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and mixed thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired
Note: Leftover Cumin Creama can be stored in an air-tight container in the refridgerator for 3-4 days and makes a great dip for raw veggies.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (2 tablespoons): 10 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 25mg sodium, 1g carbs, 0g fiber, 1g protein.
... 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons canola oil For the green beans: 1 ...
Gazpacho - Summertime is one of my favorite times of the year for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is that it is the perfect time to go to the ...
... Fish Tacos Spicy Tilapia Tacos with Tangy Mango Crema Ingredients 1/2 cup ... depending on size) 1 teaspoon ...
Glazed Chicken - There's not many things more popular to cook for a weeknight meal than chicken. It's easy to make, it's healthy, and it's pretty fami ...
... extract Directions To make the cake Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F Cream butter and sugar together in a mixer ...